The Rainey Store was built in the 1880s in Ona, FL, one of Hardee County’s oldest settlements. In 1911 a railroad was built through Hardee County, and Ona became a major posting, shipping, and receiving point for western and central Florida. A general store and post office, the Rainey store thrived during Ona’s boom, and the Rainey family raised four children in the living space on the second story. When US-17 was built through Wauchula in the 1930s, however, Ona faded into rural obscurity. The building served as a general store until the 1960s; by the 1980s it was hollow and empty, but still standing. It was donated to Cracker Country in 1988 by Reid and Gussie Rainey, and lives on as Cracker Country’s General Store.
Built 1800s, moved to Cracker Country in 1987, first Florida State Fair 1988