What to See

  • Blacksmith Shop

      The Blacksmith Shop, although not an original building, is an accurate replica of a 1900s smithy. Visitors to Cracker Country can see a real blacksmith practicing his trade, just as it was done in...

    Read More ...

  • Caboose

    Caboose number 0583, built in 1917, was one of the last wooden-sided cabooses on the Atlantic Coastline Rail. A train conductor’s office was stationed in the caboose, and he rode back there with the...

    Read More ...

  • Cane Mill

    Before the simplicity of a trip to the grocery store to purchase a bottle of syrup, communities relied on the cane mill and syrup kettle. Oxen and mules would power the mill to squeeze juice from...

    Read More ...

  • Carlton House

      The Carlton House was built in 1885 by Albert and Martha (McEwen) Carlton. Originally located in Hardee County, just four miles west of Wauchula, the house functioned as home to the Carltons and...

    Read More ...

  • Cemetery

      The cemetery next to the church serves as a representation of a standard cemetery from the early 1900s. The tombstones are originally from an abandoned cemetery near Okahumpka, Fl.            Built 1800s,...

    Read More ...

  • Church

      The Church was built in the early 1900s in Gretna, FL. After the railroads came to Florida in the late 1800s, Gretna sprang up as a turpentine town north of Tallahassee, in an area where black and...

    Read More ...

  • Corn Crib Barn

    This authentic corn crib is built out of cypress logs and was used by Florida pioneers to protect their corn and their animals. Today, the animal pens are home to Cracker Country’s different breeds...

    Read More ...

  • Governors Inn

      Governors Inn, formerly located in Lily, Fl, was built in 1912. The building, which originally functioned as the community post office and general store, was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Pat Wilson of...

    Read More ...

  • Kitchen Garden

      Located behind the Carlton House, the kitchen garden is a smaller version of those maintained by rural Florida settlers. Over 100 years ago it took a garden approximately one half-acre in size to...

    Read More ...

  • Murphy Kitchen

      Murphy kitchen was built in the 1800s in what used to be DeSoto County. The kitchen was part of the childhood home of one of Florida’s senators, Henry Murphy. Senator Murphy is known for the Murphy...

    Read More ...

  • Okahumpka Train Depot

      In 1898 the Okahumpka Train Depot was built to serve a section of the Henry B. Plant Railroad system that stretched from Tampa to Savannah. The train depot, originally located in Lake County, was...

    Read More ...

  • Post Office

      Cracker Country’s post office is an accurate representation of post offices from the 1900s, thanks to the donation of post office artifacts from across the state. The building is constructed of...

    Read More ...

  • Rainey Store

      The Rainey Store was built in the 1880s in Ona, FL, one of Hardee County’s oldest settlements. In 1911 a railroad was built through Hardee County, and Ona became a major posting, shipping, and...

    Read More ...

  • School House

    The school house was built in 1910 in the historical town of Castalia in DeSoto County, and served as a school from 1912 until 1937. The building was constructed from local heart-pine on the site of...

    Read More ...

  • Smith House

      The Smith House was built in eastern Pasco County by the friends and neighbors of Daniel H. and Elizabeth Geiger Smith, honoring their marriage in 1894. The lumber used in construction was harvested on...

    Read More ...

Want to receive e-newsletter from us...